Family, friends, money, intelligence.
I believed I am what I am due to the above mentioned things. I believed these things are the ones that define me. I couldn't be more wrong.
If any of the above were to suddenly go away would I be any lesser of a "me"?
If any of the above got added to would I become any more "me" than what I currently am?
If not, how can these things define me? I am not them. They are not me.
I am something completely different. In fact those things get their meanings because of me. But nothing to be proud of. I only add one additional defining characteristic to them. They would still exist and would still be defined even if I was not around ... even if I was never around.
It can be argued that my intelligence wouldn't exist without me. Hence, it has to be me. But if it was me would a little less of it make me any different than what I am? Some things and situations would be handled differently maybe but it wouldn't change the fabric of my existence. It can be argued that it wouldn't get a definition without me but frankly speaking it is not something which deserves a definition anyways. I would be lesser known or more well-known as a result but it doesn't change me. At best, it just affects my existence or standing amongst other people.
That brings me to the next point. My existence or standing amongst people also doesn't define me. If it did, I would cease to be me on a marooned island.
Need to find out exactly what defines me. That will be the only thing that will stay with me throughout.
That is me. I am that!
» Post a Comment