Trying to be the "Best"
Trying to be someone's best friend, someone's biggest well-wisher, having the best car or house are all nothing but attacks of the ego.
I am doing just fine when I try to be friends with people. As soon as the concept of "best" comes into the picture I am no longer being a "friend" and instead trying to be the "best". I no longer want to own a "car" and instead want to own "best". The adjective becomes the thing I run after rather than the noun. As a result I cannot enjoy the object represented by the noun anymore and on the other hand the adjective's something I will never get as it is a very abstract, relative thing. Never gotten by anyone. Never can be.
I am left with neither (adjective or noun). Makes me bitter, frustrated and that much less peaceful in life. More adjectives I am after a higher degree of superlative to each of the before-mentioned sufferings.
Also, just by remaining a friend I will contribute a lot more to the person than by trying to be his/her best friend. Trying to be the "best" will just create friction sooner or later due to the weight of expectations instead of just enjoying the relationship which will bring more joy in that person's life and will do the same for me.
Trying to be someone's best friend, someone's biggest well-wisher, having the best car or house are all nothing but attacks of the ego.
I am doing just fine when I try to be friends with people. As soon as the concept of "best" comes into the picture I am no longer being a "friend" and instead trying to be the "best". I no longer want to own a "car" and instead want to own "best". The adjective becomes the thing I run after rather than the noun. As a result I cannot enjoy the object represented by the noun anymore and on the other hand the adjective's something I will never get as it is a very abstract, relative thing. Never gotten by anyone. Never can be.
I am left with neither (adjective or noun). Makes me bitter, frustrated and that much less peaceful in life. More adjectives I am after a higher degree of superlative to each of the before-mentioned sufferings.
Also, just by remaining a friend I will contribute a lot more to the person than by trying to be his/her best friend. Trying to be the "best" will just create friction sooner or later due to the weight of expectations instead of just enjoying the relationship which will bring more joy in that person's life and will do the same for me.
October 20, 2010 10:55 AMThat's very true or rather that's true.
Reminded me of this song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Q-cn_NNwU
» Post a Comment